Thursday, September 09, 2004

Gaints Ready for Lound Mouth T.O.

From NFL.com
"I just see myself as a guy that can come in and make some plays, and it’s not for me to say if I’m the missing link or not, but I definitely know my position on the team,” Owens said on a conference call. “I’m definitely here to try to win a Super Bowl, and that’s the stand that I’m taking right now. We’re going to take our first step toward that on Sunday.”

Not if the Giants can help it. They are not unfamiliar with Owens. In a Monday night game in 1998, Owens caught five passes for 140 yards, including a 79-yard touchdown in a 49ers victory over the Giants. Owens faced the Giants twice in 2002, catching four passes for 41 yards in a prime-time opener and nine for 177 yards, including a 76-yard touchdown on the Niners’ first play, in San Francisco’s comeback victory in an NFC Wild Card game.

When Tai Streets scored the winning touchdown with 1:05 left, Owens and Williams tangled and received offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. They went at it again after the 49ers’ unsuccessful two-point conversion attempt. Owens and Williams were flagged for unnecessary roughness, but the Giants’ safety was ejected from the game for throwing a punch.

Today, both players have matching recollections of that game.
“All I know is that we won. That’s it,” Owens said.

“I remember they won,” Williams said. “That’s the most frustrating part. We’re out here to win games. We’re not here to take out any personal grudges on anybody. We need to come away from this game with a win.”

To do that, they can’t let Owens dominate the game.

“I’m expecting him to be at the top of his game and to come out, especially in the opening game, and have a phenomenal game,” Williams said. “I know that’s his expectation and that’s what their fans want to see, that’s what their coaches want to see. It’s our job to prevent that from happening. It’s going to be a great challenge for us and we’re looking forward to it.”

No comments: